Java is not the only applet language!

From: Ka-Ping Yee <kryee@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 19:52:34 +0900
To: www-talk@w3.org
<URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-html32>:

> APPLET (Java Applets)

[...]
> Requires start and end tags. This element is supported by all Java
> enabled browsers. It allows you to embed a Java applet into HTML
> documents.

Excuse me, but how can the W3C possibly claim that Java is
the only WWW applet programming language?

Specific references to Java should be removed.  This tag (and
the <OBJECT> tag) are for embedding objects of general types,
not for one programming language only.

In particular, the following is silly and has no place in any
formal specification:

> Following the PARAM elements, the content of APPLET elements
> should be used to provide an alternative to the applet for
> user agents that don't support Java.
[...]
> Other possibilities for this area are a link to a page that
> is more useful for the Java-ignorant browser, or text that
> taunts the user for not having a Java-compatible browser.

Are we going to suggest that authors using <BLINK> might
consider "text that taunts the user" for not having a
Netscape-compatible browser, next?

Ping
       3B Computer Engineering, Waterloo (on exchange in Tottori, Japan)
http://www.lfw.org/math/ brings math to the Web as easy as <se>?pi?</se>