my site is being attacked by Micorosoft proxy servers (fwd)

From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:24:40 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Once upon a time Rob Hartill shaped the electrons to say...
>The situation gets worse with time as more and more proxies return to
>the site and get into this infinite loop. I've spent far too many days
>cleaning up the mess and it's not fair on the legitimate users of the
>site that access times are worsened because the proxies are using up
>the resources.
>
>Attached is a patch for Apache (1.1.1 or higher) that I now use to
>block MS-Catapult. It is used by adding (to access.conf)
>
><Location />
>  <Limit GET>
>  order allow,deny
>  allow from all
>  deny from user-agents MS-Catapult
>  </Limit>
></Location>

The proxy servers have a fixed IP, right?  Does your border router do
IP filters?  Block the packets completely so the load is not on your network
at all.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway  #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566
See me in person: Internet Expo, Boston, MA, October 16-17, Booth 422 ;-)