Re: Extended URL for frames

From: Ted Hardie <hardie@merlot.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 14:56:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: burchard@CS.Princeton.EDU (Paul Burchard)
Cc: davidp@earthlink.net, ilopez@fundesco.es, www-talk@w3.org
P. Buchard writes:
> Frames are hierarchical client-side presentation resources that should
> be addressable by URLs.  However, these URLs shouldn't necessarily
> bear any relationship to the URLs from which the content was
> retrieved.  What I have previously proposed is that Netscape's

In the current scheme of things frames can have content referenced by
a url within a "src =" construction; retrieving the source of
particular frames can thus be as easy as retrieving the URL named in
the "src =" construction.  When you want to retrieve the information
on how that source is presented within the context of a particular
document, though, you are currently forced to retrieve the entire
document.  His proposal made a relationship between the original
entire document and source for a frame with a URL which referenced
the source for a frame, something like this:

main.html##[][][doc3a.html#here#[][doc3a-2a.html#there#]]

I can certainly see why avoiding this construction is desirable, but
I'm not sure if having a URL which bore no relationship to the
original is that great an idea either.  I think a better way would be
to name the frames and framesets so that the URL could be constructed
of the original document and the frame/frameset name.

something like:

http://www.gamelan.com/index.html##frameset=corner

				Ted Hardie