Re: can browser run cgi without http server?

At 12:33 19/12/96 +0800, wyy wrote:
>	i want to set a form's action to a exe file on my local computer,but the
>browser can not correctly
> set up envirenment for the exe file if the method is post or can not start
>the exe file if the method is get.
>how can i do that?

Just put up a personal Web server on your computer... There are a number
available on just about any platform you can think of. Since you don't need
to support many concurrent sessions, you'll not need most of the
complexity, and a light-duty server should do you quite well.

Check out the "usual suspects" archives (such as Tucows
http://www.tucows.com for Windows) for your platform of choice.

Another good alternative is Jigsaw, which does require that you have the
full Java running on your computer. You can get it from the W3C site,
http://www.w3.org.

You'll likely find that the host name "localhost" has already been defined
in your system... so you could then specify
"http://localhost/dir/page.html" as your URL.

Good luck...IMHO is well worth the modest effort to set one up locally,
particularly if you do any Web page development.  /Harold
Harold A. Driscoll                       mailto:harold@driscoll.chi.il.us
#include <std/disclaimer>      http://homepage.interaccess.com/~driscoll/