Re: The use and implementation of Banner

From: Steven Ball <steve@cs.anu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 09:15:36 +1100
To: DELINCK@Inland.com
cc: www-talk@w3.org, steve@rigel.anu.edu.au
DELINK@Inland.com writes:

>                      The use and implementation of Banner
>
>    I want to start by affirming my view on banner. I am not relying on
>    banner to show me an index or a table of contents. My concern for
>    banner was to identify printed documents. Another use could be
>    navigation bars. Although, with the advent of Frames, navigation bars
>    will not likely be put into banners.

Not everyone uses frames.  They have various problems, and these have been
discussed previously.

>    [...] A banner (I propose) would be printed on the top of each
>    page.

This is the purpose of a header and/or footer.  I believe there are proposals
for handling print formatting using CSS.  Tthis is the approach I support.
Sorry,  I don't have a reference handy.

Surely it would be better to separate the printing format of a document from
it's markup (see the entire discussion on the rationale behind CSS/DSSSL).
If you want "Page i of N" on every document you print, simply supply your
browser with a stylesheet for printing that causes that effect.

Regards,
Steve Ball