Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

From: Gerald W. Edgar <gerald@blegga.freerange.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:19:37 -0700 (PDT)
To: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>
Cc: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>, Russell Holt <holtrf@destinyusa.com>, www-html@w3.org, www-talk@w3.org

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Matthew James Marnell wrote:

> Sorry, I missed this in the first reading.  Again, since nobody
> has asked this question, I will.  Why are we talking about running
> Java applets on servers?

Because there may be licensing issues of allowing general internet access
to a Web Server. If say I have a database. In my example let's take
Oracle. It costs a set amount for an Oracle licence. Each connection will
cost X amount. If I want to control costs, and remain legal, I want to
have the applet execute on the server. That way I can make sure that no
more than say 8 connections are made to the database. With the
connections coming from java applets on client machines I may not have
the control over the number of clients. Besides, Java is great in that it
can be used cross platform. But that holds for servers too, not just the
clients (browsers).

   <Stuff Deleted>

Gerald Edgar
Development Lead,