Re: Java and HTML and well known socket numbers

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:43:48 -0400
To: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>, holtrf@destinyusa.com (Russell Holt)
Cc: megazone@livingston.com, www-html@w3.org, www-talk@w3.org
At 07:47 PM 6/3/96 -0700, MegaZone wrote:
>I was thinking in terms of a lean server that handles Java and doesn't deal
>with the other types of content.  Expecially in an environment where Java
>Terms are in heavy use (IBM is considering replacing 3270s with Java Terms
>for example, amongst many other such concepts).

When Java becomes ubiquitous and two-way, new protocols will certainly be
required. But it seems premature to start developing them _now_ when the
proposed applications are only press releases. "Java Terminals" will almost
certainly require different protocols than "Java-Agent Search Engine" which
iwll require different protocols than "HTML-embedded Java Applets". HTTP is
just fine for the last, and that is all we know about now.

Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com> asks:

> Why are we talking about running
> Java applets on servers?

Well, if you have a big data source (let's say the complete works of
Shakespeare) and I want to do a really wonky query (let's say it involves
linguistics based interpretation of the text), I might just upload my applet
and you can bill me for the CPU time it takes up.

 Paul Prescod