URL schemes indexing into dokuments?

From: Adrian Wallaschek <Adrian.Wallaschek@informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 00:18:05 +0200 (MET DST)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Hi, weblanders!

The following may sound like a newcomers question, but be
assured I have some interesting plans ;-)

As I fiddled around with sound and other multi-media-
documents, I came across a question:

Let's say I have an audio file. It is no problem at all
to get it and let it play.

Now I wonder wether it is possible with existing tools
(perhaps java, or whatever) to get a part of such
a document described by an index or a timecode or
something like that.

E.g. I have a recorded interview just as one big sound-file
(which might have some megabytes). If I want to reference only
a part of the document, let's say just one sentence spoken,
can I direct my browser by any method not to get the whole file
but the relevant part only?

Has anybody already planned an URL-schemes for sub-file-data.
Are there any standard method of making non-standard data-formats
available?

Any suggestions?

Please mail hints to Adrian.Wallaschek@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE

Thanks in advance,

  prefect
--
                      _
    ___    _   __    /  __   __   /	Adrian Wallaschek

     Just when you think, life can't possibly get worse, it suddenly does!

                    And from the chaos there came a voice:
	       "Smile and be happy, it could have become worse!"
               and I smiled and I was happy and it BECAME worse!