Re: expires

From: Tai Jin <tai@nexus.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 16:48:44 -0700
To: www-talk@w3.org
> From: "Lee Daniel Crocker" <lcrocker@calweb.com>
>
> Expiration dates are part of the HTTP protocol, not part of the
> document (images are documents as well).  How you go about
> configuring your Web server software to send expiration dates
> with each document is entirely up to the server, and different
> servers do it differently.

I'm already sending an Expires header, but I was wondering if that
header applied to the inline images as well as the containing document
since those images are retrieved separately.

> If you can write CGI scripts, you can replace the URLs pointing
> to the images with a CGI script that sends the HTTP headers and
> then sends to picture.  This doesnt require reconfiguring the
> server, but it is slower (with the CGI overhead).

You are implying that each inline image must be transmitted with its
own Expires header.  Is this really necessary?  Or are the browsers
using the containing document's expiration date as a default for the
inline images?  I would like to think that this is the case.

...tai