Re: HTTP protocol regarding form elements order

From: Gregory J. Woodhouse <gjw@wnetc.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 11:26:28 -0800 (PST)
To: Mike Meyer <mwm@contessa.phone.net>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Mike Meyer wrote:

> > No. The form elements can be returned in any order. For example,
> The HTML RFC (1866) disagrees with you. In particular, section 8.2.1
> (form submission for the mime type application/x-www-form-urlencoded
> say in point 2:
>         2. The fields are listed in the order they appear in the
>         document ...
> At least one major browser vendor got this wrong once, so I'd avoid depending
> on it if you can.
> 	<mike
Ah...I see what you mean. I wasn't actually aware that they were required
to be returned in order.What I had in mind was that no information is
lost by reordering the elements...but I guess I was making the tacit
assumption that the NAME attributes would be unique to the form element.

Gregory Woodhouse     gjw@wnetc.com
home page:            http://www.wnetc.com/
resource page:        http://www.wnetc.com/resource/