Re: browsers

From: Martin Hamilton <martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 14:08:02 +0100
To: Penny Hix <hix@math.odu.edu>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

Penny Hix writes:

| Can anyone help me find out how a browser would go about filling in the
| http:// part of a web address instead of the user having to type it in
| for every web site they want to visit?  I am currently enrolled in an
| internet course and have been given an assignment to find this out and
| write an RFC. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

It's usually something along the lines of:

  If the URL starts with a protocol scheme you know about,
    e.g. "http", don't muck about with it
  If the URL starts with
    "gopher." -> prepend "gopher://"
    "ftp." -> prepend "ftp://"
    (maybe repeat for other protocol schemes you know about)
  If you still don't have a URL which begins with a protocol
    scheme you know about, prepend "http://"

Russ Wright and I have been scribbling a little document about these
site naming conventions, which seems to have been adopted by the IETF's
Integrated Directory Services working group.  Should be coming out as
an Internet Draft real soon now.  Too contentious to make it to RFC ?
We'll see! ;-)

Martin