Re: ISMAP vs browser-generated URL

From: Chuck Norris <chuck@spinnet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:32:59 -0800
To: www-talk@w3.org
Cc: "Daniel Pich\i" <danielp@hp817.speedware.com>
Daniel,

The problem is that you are trying to use the query_string portion of the
URL to do more than it was intended.  The way imagemap is defined, the
QUERY_STRING component of the URL is reserved for sending only the X,Y
coordinates - you may not use QUERY_STRING to send anything else.  The way
around this is to put all of your custom information into PATH_INFO.

Since putting a QUERY_STRING component into the URL explicitly is an error,
it's easy to understand why the Windows and Unix versions of Netscape work
differently - the Unix version checks for this mistake and corrects it,
while the Windows version doesn't.

Hope this helps!

Chuck

>The ISMAP attribute of the IMG element make an image "clickable". When
>activated, an URL is generated by the WWW
>browser and send to the WWW server. Generated URL are not always build the
>same way! Even using two browsers from
>the same provider (netscape for windows and netscape for X-window) do not
>guaranted an uniform behavior!
>
>Question: Where can I find THE EXACT RULES that govern URL manifacturing.
>
>As example, the netscape browser version for windows append the cursor
>coordinate to the URL defined in the map
>file. The netscape browser version for X-window doesn't react the same, it
>remplacing the QUERY_STRING portion of
>the URL defined in the map file.
>
>So, having defined:     default  /cgi-bin/program/path_info?query_string
>
>  will generate on windows version: /cgi-bin/program/path_info?query_string?x,y
>  will generate on X-window version: /cgi-bin/program/path_info?x,y
>
>Thank for help.                         Danielp

                                          |  email:  chuck@spinnet.com
  Spinnet Inc.                            |    WWW:  http://www.spinnet.com/
      Bringing Business to the Internet   |  phone:  (619) 530-0583