Re: www-talk-d Digest V96 #26

From: Mike Dilworth <applix!uunet!soi.city.ac.uk!mjd@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 17:06:13 -0200
To: Luke Gonze <uunet!applix!luke@uunet.uu.net>, uunet!applix!uunet!w3.org!www-talk@uunet.uu.net
At 06:38 PM 3/16/96 -0500, Luke Gonze wrote:

>Carlos:
>>I can connect informix database with web server ?
>>we are working development aplication in informix but we don't know
>Khow to link informix database with web server ..
>
>Hi Carlos -
>
>It depends on your general approach.  The most basic way is to compile your
>cgi scripts with embedded sql, assuming that you have C programmers who know
>that environment.  There are also quite a few vendors of web/cgi<-->rdbms
>tools and 4GLs.  I'd be surprized of none of them read this list and post
>info on their products.
>
>If you really need to link your informix code into the web server itself, you
>can either customize a web server using the libwww toolkit or bind your own
>code into the netscape server.  Writing via the libwww toolkit is a pretty
>hairy experience - their code is very difficult to read.  The toolkit for
>binding code into the netscape server is pretty good.

is all this really necessary ?  I use perl myself, not C, and it strikes me
that i could just make system calls using sql to the database and then send
the output back to the browser via a few line of perl to stick in the html
stuff.  but maybe i am being a little too simplistic ?

mike

Michael J. Dilworth		Dept. Information Science
				City University
				London, UK.
http://web.is.city.ac.uk/Home/mjd/Homepage.html