Re: How i can to receive RAW stream of HTML tags ?

From: jna <jna@retina.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 12:35:54 +0500 (GMT+0500)
To: garry <garry@extech.msk.su>
Cc: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, garry wrote:

> What i needed for receiving a HTML-tags without any browsers ?

It's called 'telnet'. ;)

> (I want with some tool connect to WWW servers and request info from it and
> interpret incoming tags as i wish.) It's possible ? If "Yes",then where i
> may to get (at FTP) these programs ? (for Win or UNIX(without perl or tcl)).

Try this from unix, or windows95/windows nt, replacing hostname.com below
with the target host:

telnet hostname.com 80

then type (once you're connected):

GET / HTTP 1.0

and see what you get.

If you want to get tags and interpert them, you have to WRITE A PROGRAM.

Look up the unix / windows socket calls for "bind" "connect" and
"gethostbyname" and go from there. If you don't want to use Perl or Tcl,
then you have to use C or something else. There's no publicily available
'tool' that does what you want because what you want to do is just too
easy.

--john