Re: PUT method

From: Jeremey Barrett <jeremey@forequest.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 11:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
To: jna <jna@retina.net>
cc: www-talk@w3.org

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, jna wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Jeremey Barrett wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, I stupidly wrote (jna):
> >

> > > What exactly is a PUT method? At last check, there was no such method.
> >
> > PUT is part of the HTTP/1.0 spec in the Appendix on 'Additional Features',
> > with the caveat that it may or may not be implemented or implemented
> > correctly.  Is is used for replacing a particular URI. For example,
> > let's say you are remotely editing /blah/blah.html, and wish to replace
> > it. In theory, a PUT header followed by the document would replace
> > the existing one. There is a bunch of server config necessary to make this
> > really happen most likely.
> I do remember this now, I guess I spaced the other day; It's supported by
> a few modules for spinner that allow you to remotely edit pages. I also
> believe that illustra put support for it in their web server as well.

I'm using Apache, and it supports PUT as well.

> > PUT does in fact work, if passed to a CGI script. Using netscape gold,
> > you can 'Publish' a document via HTTP, which sends a PUT request followed
> > by the full HTML text of the document, as it should. A CGI reads this from
> > stdin, and does receive the document text. My problem is that the
> > netscape browser converts forms with PUT methods to GET requests before
> > sending them to the server, and I have no idea why.
> Yep. Okay. Thanks for clearing this up. :) Has an RFC been established to
> account for the handling of user authorization and authentication when
> modifing files via a PUT method? It's probably an issue best left to
> particular implementations, but some form of standard would be nice. A
> typical implementation might rely on basic authentication first, and then
> use the REMOTE_USER id to evaluate permissions on the file being modified.
> (just a guess)

Authentication for PUT is handled in the same way as for other requests,
so yes, your guess would certainly be possible, using a CGI for access

Incidentally, PUT is fully part of the HTTP/1.1 spec.

Jeremey Barrett
Senior Software Engineer                        jeremey@forequest.com
The ForeQuest Company                           http://www.forequest.com/

PGP Key fingerprint =  3B 42 1E D4 4B 17 0D 80  DC 59 6F 59 04 C3 83 64
PGP Public Key: http://www.forequest.com/people/jeremey/pgpkey.html
		"less is more."  -- Mies van de Rohe.

Version: 2.6.2