Re: URL parsing and IPv6 addresses

From: Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:19:07 -0600 (MDT)
To: www-talk <www-talk@w3.org>
On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Fisher Mark wrote:
> >> Any more opinions?  Speak now or forever hold your peace...
> >
> >I prefer either a '.' or '::'.  Reason: It doesn't make any
> >more characters 'special'.
>
> I agree, with some bias towards '.' (just because it lexes slightly easier).
>
> If anyone has information from the IPv6 working group as to why they picked
> ':' over the '.' used in IPv4, could you please post it to the www-talk
> list?

Actually, using '.' is also backwards compatable, just change the URL
spec so that either '.' or ':' can be the port seperator on a IPv4 addr,
and a '.' will also work with v6.  You know a v4 addr is a quad, so the
fifth seperation is going to be the port, ala:

    0.0.0.0.80

The only problem from that point is figuring out if its a hostname or an
address :)

Frankly, I dont like the comma, its not visually correct/appealing.

-Brandon Gillespie-