Re: URL parsing and IPv6 addresses

From: Kim <bookwyrm@agii.solluna.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:12:20 -0400 (EDT)
To: dee@cybercash.com (Donald E. Eastlake 3rd)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
Earlier, <Donald E. Eastlake 3rd> inscribed:

> How about just putting square brakets around the address. I thought IPv4,
> and presumably IPv6, raw addresses were supposed to bge noted that way.
> so you would have, for example, http://[::83F7:6C0E]:8080/ or
> http://[::83F7:6C0E:8080]/

Well, my copy of netscape refuses to parse that notation for IPv4 addresses,
as does Lynx:
  http://[131.247.108.14]:80/
If there is a standards document that points to this, I would appreciate the
reference.

I dislike this idea because it adds more special characters, the '[' and ']'
to parse.  Also, it would make more sense to put them around the port
specifier - http://131.247.108.14[:80]/ - as that allows them to be omitted
in the default case.

Kim