Re: Navigator & the closed socket (was: POST forms & Netscape Navigator)

From: Inigo Lopez <ilopez@fundesco.es>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:38:19 +0200
To: www-talk@w3.org
En fecha/On Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:17:59 -0700  marc@ckm.ucsf.edu expuso/wrote:

> |>Netscape does NOT close the connection but opens a new connection to the
> |>server for each inline image it needs. After it has received all the images,
> |>it closes all the > connections. This happens even if the server responds
> |>with HTTP/1.1 and  Connection: keep-alive.
>
> All implementations of HTTP/1.1 are technically speculative at this point
> since the draft hasn't been finalized.  In any case, unless a client
> issues an HTTP request at level 1.1 or higher (does navigator actually do
> this?) a server cannot respond with an HTTP/1.1 response.

Navigator still issues an HTTP/1.0 request. I just wrote a null HTTP server
that
would accept HTTP connections and keep them alive, to see what the client does.
I even tried to respond with an HTTP/1.1 (I know I shouldn't) just to see what
happened.

The question here is: Why is Netscape sending "Connection: Keep-Alive" ???

|    O      Iñigo López Cía                 ilopez@fundesco.es |
|   o O     Fundesco - Dpto. Redes                             |
|  . o O    Plaza de la Independencia, 6    Tel: +34-1-3300735 |
|   . o     28001 Madrid                    Fax: +34-1-3300675 |
|    .      Spain                                              |