Re: Proposal: "On Off" switch HTML forms Input Object (fwd)

From: M. Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:32:13 -0700 (PDT)
To: Lee Daniel Crocker <lcrocker@calweb.com>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> Well, you win my award for the most amount of work expended
> on the stupidest idea in years.

Hardly -- competition in that category is fierce, and this proposal isn't
even a contender for "stupidest" -- and there is no point in slamming
people who are trying to improve HTML.  I think most people agree that HTML
forms could use some work.  I do think that this idea simply replicates
checkboxes with a different proscribed UI, but I also think it is good to
talk about the limitations of forms.  Sometimes on/off switches _are_ more
intuitive than checkboxes.

Whatever happened to the proposed features for greying out input elements
(I think I saw this in an early 3.0 draft)?  Did anyone other than Bill
Perry ever implement this feature?

Marc Hedlund <marc@organic.com> <hedlund@best.com>

Organic Online is hiring Perl5/CGI programmers.  Write mail to my Organic
address or see <http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/index.html>.