Re: HTTP-NG Server & Client Mechanisms

From: Darren New <dnew@yuan.fv.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:49:24 -0800 (PST)
To: BearHeart / Bill Weinman <bearheart@bearnet.com>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, BearHeart / Bill Weinman wrote:
>    I'm confused. What does this have to do with client performance?
>    What can a client do about some unknown piece of hardware between it
> and its server?

Well, for example, Netscape's browser (and others) opens multiple
connections at once, progressively displays interlaced files, and so on.
A client that keeps connections open between fetches will be faster than
one that closes connections for each fetch. A client capable of using
proxies might be faster than a client not capable of using proxies.

Of course, nothing you can do with a client is going to fix Sprintlink. :-)

--
 Darren New / Dir. of Custom Software Design / First Virtual Holdings Inc.
Anyone can buy and sell information over the internet for real money TODAY!