Accept-Encoding: header field

From: Mirsad Todorovac <tm@rasips2.rasip.etf.hr>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 11:46:29 +0100 (MET)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Cc: tm@rasips2.rasip.etf.hr (Mirsad Todorovac)

Is there a list of browsers/versions regarding content encodings
they support during HTTP transfer?

Knowing that some browsers do support x-gzip and x-compress encoding,
yet they do not (by my experience on Mozilla and Mosaic) present
Accep-Encoding: header to HTTP-server, and that there are some browsers
(eg. lynx) which do neither, wouldn't it be the only solution
to use User-Agent header field and determine from that value whether
to send gzip'ed or not?

Best regards -- Mirsad

    | Mirsad Todorovac					|
    | Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing	|
    | University of Zagreb				|
    | Unska 3, Zagreb, Croatia 10000			|
    |							|
    | e-mail: mirsad.todorovac@fer.hr			|