Re: Microsoft IE -- it just gets better and better

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Just specifying text/netscape-html probably works for 90% of the
> content providers who care, as most of them seem to want nothing more
> than to distinguish netscape from the rest of the world.
[...]
> Yes, it's not a complete solution, and it's not perfect. But it solves
> the majority of users problems, and is a lot better than what we've
> got now.

I disagree, although I'd like to be able to agree.  If Netscape had
implemented this when they first added extensions to HTML, this would be
workable.  Since, however, I still get _plenty_ of hits from pre-1.1
versions of Netscape, we would still be left doing UA negotiation for a
very long time.

This is a stopgap solution, but it doesn't fill the 'gap'.  Old versions
of Netscape and other browsers would prevent this from working.

Marc Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>, <marc@organic.com>