Re: Microsoft IE -- it just gets better and better (fwd)

From: Martin Hamilton <martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:27:17 +0000
To: Matthew James Marnell <marnellm@portia.portia.com>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

Matthew James Marnell writes:

| :>Tsk!  You just broke the License agreement ?
|
| Nah, I deleted it right after I proved to myself it could be done.

:-))

| :>Now you've been and gone and Done It, I guess you might as well
| :>change the spelling of "Referer:" and "Cookie:", for enhanced
| :>privacy... ;-)
|
| I really don't care what a browser sends with it's request as far
| as referer, agent, and cookie are.  That's what I've been trying to
| say.  As far as that goes, I don't care if Netscape sends MSIE and MSIE
| sends Mozilla, and emacs-w3 sends "wacky weed/2.0b15".  It doesn't
| matter to me or my clients.

Well, you should care, because this is how "customer profiles" and
"click trails" are built up.  For instance, our esteemed (London)
Times and Sunday Times (prop: R. Murdoch) recently went on-line.
Here's what they have to say ...

  Readership profile research

  Bespoke click-stream analysis, presented in a pre-agreed format.
  Demographic breakdown by age, sex and occupation.

cf. <URL:http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/commerce3.html?102>,
but you'll have to register first

Awww!  Now, I thought they were giving it away for free out of
altruism...

Martin