Re: Microsoft IE -- it just gets better and better

From: BearHeart / Bill Weinman <bearheart@bearnet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 14:57:44 -0600
To: www-talk@w3.org
>Could most of this be handled with media type registration? E.g., if
>Netscape were to accept: text/html and text/netscape-2.0-html, then
>Microsoft's browser could express its willingness to accept either or
>both. Is this a workable solution?

   I would like to see tighter granularity than that. It seems
to me to be a problem that will need to be addressed on both the
HTTP and HTML levels.

Example:

   The Accept string, or perhaps a new tag of some sort, would
give a list of features that the client can render. (It seems
inappropriate to define lots of new MIME-types for this.)

   Then the content could be coded with conditionals that would
give either low-level or feature-rich content on an object-by-object
basis.

   That way I wouldn't have to have entirely different source
for all the different combinations of support implemented by
all the different browsers.

   I hear that Marc Hedlund and Brian Behlendorf are working
on such a proposal.