Re: Microsoft IE -- it just gets better and better

From: Gregory J. Woodhouse <gjw@best.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 12:08:04 -0800 (PST)
To: David Ornstein <davido@apocalypse.org>
Cc: BearHeart / Bill Weinman <bearheart@bearnet.com>, kaimuse@apocalypse.org, brianp@apocalypse.org, paulk@crocker.com, Mike Meyer <mwm@contessa.phone.net>, www-talk@w3.org
When I configured my system I specified a domain name, an IP address, a
set of protocols, etc. I don't see that the fact I could lie (if I so
chose) and use (for example) an incorrect domain name is wrong. The
situation with a web browser seems analogous. A user can be dishonest and
enter an invalid string, but that is the user's responsibility.

Switching gears a bit, I would agree that content negotiation will work
properly when I am able to configure my browser to request any version
available on the server. If I want frames (or tables, or push/pull, etc.)
then I should be able to specify as much via my configuration. The
problem is that [person configuring] the server is now in control of who
receives which version, and that is backwards.

---
Gregory Woodhouse     gjw@best.com
home page:            http://www.best.com/~gjw/
resource page:        http://www.best.com/~gjw/resource/