Re: Word to html

From: <mcjones@pa.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 96 14:02:14 -0800
To: andersg@interbizz.se (Anders Gunnare)
Cc: mcjones@pa.dec.com, www-talk@w3.org
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:41:34 +0100 (MET), andersg@interbizz.se (Anders Gunnare) wrote:

>Is there any way to convert a word document to
>a html-document automaticaly, perheps with a "converter" ?

If by "word" you mean Microsoft Word, I know of two ways:

1. Using Microsoft's free Internet Assistant for Word, which extends
Word with filters for converting to/from HTML and editing HTML.
It works, but it doesn't have many fancy features.

2. The freeware rtftohtml with the rtftoweb patches. This is a Unix
program distributed in C source format which converts Microsoft Rich
Text Format (which Word and lots of other word processors can save
as) to HTML.

rtftohtml+rtftoweb can segment a document into multiple HTML files at
section boundaries, and deal with Word's footnotes and back-of-book
index.  For an example of its use, open this URL:

  http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/personal/Paul_McJones/System_R/SQL_Reunion_95/

and follow the HTML link.  (Or compare with the PostScript version there.)

You can get rtftohtml and rtftoweb sources from:

  http://sun1.rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de:80/~zzhibol/rtftoweb/guide.html

You can get Microsoft's Internet Assistant for Word from:

  http://www.microsoft.com/msoffice/freestuf/msword/download/ia/default.htm

Paul McJones
mcjones@pa.dec.com