Re: Setting up PowerPoint as Helper application

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 15:56:44 +0000 (GMT)
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter)
Cc: hgoldber@nedhmail.nedh.harvard.edu, www-talk@w3.org
Larry said:

> The proposal was to register it as application/mspowerpoint.

That was one of them. Jill Foster tried to register this type for about
a year, then gave up at the sheer intransigence of the ietf-types list
denziens.  It is almost impossible to register a new type.

> I'd really like it if someone (w3c) would start registering all of the
> types that seem to be floating around on the web.

I'd like it if W3C started their own registry which really did have a two
week turnaround (and did not have an 90% reject rate on applications).

There seems general agreement that the registration process is broken. I
have said so on the ietf-types list, as has Ned Freed. Harald Alvestrand
agrees that there are major problems.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |