Re: URL Expansion proposal

From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <dee@cybercash.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 09:39:12 -0500 (EST)
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:

> A new registry would allow for some ambiguities: apple computer, apple
> records both being found by 'apple'.  Something hard to do with DNS.

? I don't understand what you are saying.  DNS is very good at storing
multiple RRs of the same type under the same name.  If you want to be
able to do this, it is a good argument for going to a new top level
domain.  But I thik its a bad idea.

Like it or not, the Internet has caused there to be one global name
space and it is the DNS name space.  web:apple should get you one
place.  Not a list of two places for apple computer and records
or, more liekly, a list of thousands including all the apple
picking coopratives and farms.

Donald
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 508-287-4877(tel)     dee@cybercash.com
   318 Acton Street        +1 508-371-7148(fax)     dee@world.std.com
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)