Re: HTML variants and content negotiation

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?T=F6ns B=FCker?= <webtalk@everex.han.de>
Date: 09 Jan 1996 07:48:00 +0200
To: www-talk@www10.w3.org

	nazgul@utopia.com  (Kee Hinckley) wrote:

	>If you combine this with the browser passing in  infor-
	>mation  then you could go either way.  You could have a
	>smart server  which  parses  the  information  and only
	>sends what is necessary, or you could have the  browser
	>do the parsing.

	[...]
	>However,  and  this  could  be  a big "but", our server
	>extensions are outside of the language, thus allowing:

	>#if Tables
	>#else
	><pre>
	>#endif
	>
	>If you are doing  the  extensions within the context of
	>HTML parsing, that may not be a viable  structure.   So
	>at that point you  could  see  a 2-3x expansion in size
	>in some cases.

	FYI.  The server allowing such things is already  there.
	Have a look at http://spinner.infovav.se/.
	Besides  the fact, that it is one of the fastest servers
	I have ever seen,  it  implements a preparsing mechanism
	that allows fancy things (look for SPML - Spinner  Mark-
	up Language).

	By
	Toens

	Wer sich nicht bewegt, kann seine Fesseln nicht sp"uren
	_/_/_/ T"ons B"uker