rebuilding NCSA httpd

From: Jim Meritt <jmeritt@smtpinet.aspensys.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 96 15:17:45 EST
To: www-talk@w3.org, www-talk@www10.w3.org, httpd@ncsa.uiuc.edu
     Due to some directory differences, the httpd base isn't at
     /usr/local/etc, so likewise the conf files.  This looks to me like a
     full rebuilding, not just a change in some conf files (after all, it
     needs to find them before it can look there!)

     My problem is that when I make for on a sun station with solaris:

     >make solaris
     make tar AUX_CFLAGS=-DSOLARIS2 EXTRA_LIBS="-lsocket -lnsl" CC=gcc
     CFLAGS=-O
     gcc -c -O -DSOLARIS2 -DDIGEST_AUTH  -DDBM_SUPPORT httpd.c
     unknown flag -lang-c
     unknown flag -Asystem(unix)
     unknown flag -Asystem(svr4)
     unknown flag -Acpu(sparc)
     unknown flag -Amachine(sparc)
     "./portability.h", line 219: illegal/missing macro name
     "./portability.h", line 436: If-less endif
     *** Error code 1
     make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `httpd.o'
     Current working directory /Search/Services/src/ncsa/src
     *** Error code 1
     make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `solaris'

     I'm not real sure where it is getting these flags in the first place,
     or what is the problem with portability.h.

     Suggestions?

     Jim Meritt