Re: bug, or "feature"?

From: Dave Long <dave@navisoft.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 11:27:07 -0800
To: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

>I've just discovered that with some popular browsers, including the
>latest from Netscape, if you do a GET on a URL with a fragment (an
>anchor, a "#something" on the end), and the server issues a redirect
>(302) so that a different document is fetched, then the browser will
>NOT seek to the anchor to the ultimately viewed document -- you end up
>staring at the beginning of the page.
>
>Do people think this is
>a) a bug
>b) a feature
>c) none of the above ?

Ok, how about the reverse of this?  You do a GET on an URL without
a fragment (an imagemap, say), and the server issues a 302 *with*
a fragment (to a glossary page, say).  Should the browser:

a) seek to the fragment given in the redirect
b) start at top of page, since the original didn't start with a fragment
c) none of the above - discuss

-Dave