Re: The EMBED tag by Netscape (v2.0)

From: Ka-Ping Yee <kryee@novice.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 13:52:38 -0400
To: murray@sq.com
Cc: bjoerns@acm.org, www-talk@w3.org, www-html@w3.org

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995 murray@sq.com wrote:

> Ka-Ping Yee writes:
> >
> > Certainly we have no reason to accept EMBED.  It is not part of the
> > standard, and never needs to be.
>
> Who is "we"? And why does EMBED never need to be in the spec?

I apologize for the excessively presumptive tone i used.  Rephrased, i
believe that there is no reason to introduce another tag, EMBED, to do
(as a special case) something that A has always been able to do (the
fact that practically no one has *yet* bothered to implement it the way
Tim Berners-Lee originally conceived it is not relevant).

> The ability to do inclusion, via EMBED, is something that
> has been asked for repeatedly for over a year now.

If you mean the inclusion of arbitrary media types in a document, then
<A HREF="..." REL="EMBED"> or the more specialized <FIG SRC="..."> can both
accomplish this.  Have i misinterpreted what this desired functionality is?

Ping (Ka-Ping Yee):   2N Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
kryee@csclub.uwaterloo.ca, St. Paul's College, Waterloo N2L 3G5, 519 725-8008
CWSF 89, 90, 92; LIYSF 90, 91; Shad Valley 92; DOE 93; IMO 91, 93; ACMICPC 94
Amano Ai * Tendou Akane * Skuld * Ayukawa Madoka * Belldandy * Hayakawa Moemi
<http://watserv1.uwaterloo.ca/~imprint/> Read the U. Waterloo IMPRINT online!