Wanted: HyperMail Done Right

From: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 95 23:31:46 CST
To: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
Daniel W. Connolly writes:
 > Hypermail is great. Mhonarc is even better. But I've got a lot of
 > ideas for improvements:

I want HyperNews done right in the same ways you have listed and more.
I know Hypermail is the email archive of choice, but HyperNews is
receiving continuing development attention, whereas Hypermail is
relatively static.  So I'd rather see community efforts directed
toward HyperNews.  With a configuration option, I could make HyperNews
even look like Hypermail, if familiarity is a factor.

I'm going to add the bidirectional email support to HyperNews RSN and
then I'll have to address all the same issues you listed.

 > I saw some activity in news:comp.lang.python along this direction. Any
 > takers around here?

HyperNews is written in Perl, but I've entertained the idea of
rewriting in Python or Java.

Daniel LaLiberte (liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~liberte/
http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HyperNews/get/hypernews.html