Re: two ideas...

> From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
>     Actually, there are two major contributors to delay for the
>     "average" user -
>         - bandwith to the server
> 		this has less to do with the modem speed, and more to
> 		do with shared access to an often limited and highly
> 		contended resource i.e., even over a 14.4k modem, we
> 		often see 4-6 kbps transfer rates

Umm 4-6K is a VERY good rate here. Remember 14.4K means 14,400 baud
not bytes. Thus an "average" transfer should really be 1800 bytes
per second. Good compression brings it up to the 4-6K range.

My real experiences are that an average 14.4k modem actually sees
an average throughput of about 1Kbytes - 1.3 Kbytes per second.

Mary Morris