Re: REMOTE_USER

From: Rick Silterra <rs@sun09.cci.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 08:55:33 -0500
To: www-talk@w3.org
I have posted this query on the comp.www.servers.unix newsgroup,
and gotten no response;
maybe this group can give me some help or pointers.
I am using the CERN www server 3.0.
I have set up authentication for a directory. This works fine.
I now want to some scripts that are used by this directory to have
access to the REMOTE_USER variable.
So, I tried mapping .../directory_tools/xxx.pl/xxx/* to
/cgi-bin/xxx.pl/* , and applying the same authentication to this
that was applied to the /directory/ in the first place;
1) This mapping does not seem to invoke authentication,
as a  result of this:
2) I never seem to be able to get access to REMOTE_USER from a script.
3)When exactly is REMOTE_USER made available to a script?
4)Anytime after authentication, when contacting this server?
5)Only for subsets of the URL for which it was invoked?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Rick Silterra rs@cci.com

--
Rick Silterra Usenet: rs@cci.com Mail: Rick Silterra
Northern Telecom Network Applications Systems Group