Re: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Demographics Workshop

From: Paul Burchard <burchard@cs.princeton.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 95 20:54:51 -0500
To: khare@w3.org
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
Rohit Khare <khare@pest.w3.org> writes:

>       WORKSHOP ON INTERNET SURVEY METHODOLOGY AND WEB DEMOGRAPHICS

>  5. Are ethical issues raised by this activity, and what might be
>     needed to protect individual rights?

I hope this workshop will also include informed discussion of the
international _legal_ issues surrounding privacy.  It's no longer
merely a matter of personal ethics, since some governments have
begun to codify strong privacy rights.  For example, see the EC
policy at:

http://cpsr.org/cpsr/privacy/privacy_international/international_laws/ec_data_protection_directive_1995.txt

Paul Burchard	<burchard@cs.princeton.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''