Re: two ideas...

From: <touch@ISI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:50:20 -0800
To: ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu, mogul@pa.dec.com
Cc: touch@ISI.EDU, marc@ckm.ucsf.edu, www-talk@www0.cern.ch, www-speed@tipper.oit.unc.edu
> From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
>
>     I grabbed a copy of the Touch and Farber paper cited earlier in
>     this thread, which seemed to deal with  FTP. This described a
>     pre-send selection algorithm of sending everything in the currently
>     selected directory. The Boston University system used a simple
>     1-level probablistic model to pick the best candidates for
>     pre-send, and used fare less extra bandwidth, though with a higher
>     probablity of a cache-miss. There's lots of stuff to tune with
>     speculation.
>
> The model that Venkata Padmanabhan and I had been working on is
> a little different from the BU and Touch/Farber models (as far as
> I have been able to learn).
>
> We started from these principles:

I liked the idea of Jeff's summaries, so I put abbreviated versions of
my own on the Related works page of the LowLat pages:

	http://www.isi.edu/lowlat/related-work.html

This is a summary of ALL latency reduction techniques, with pointers,
and some brief summaries. It is a work-in-progress; feedback would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe