Re: two ideas...

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 19:05:26 -0800 (PST)
To: touch@ISI.EDU
Cc: marc@ckm.ucsf.edu, www-talk@www0.cern.ch, www-speed@tipper.oit.unc.edu
On Wed, 29 Nov 1995 touch@ISI.EDU wrote:
> I would predict that they would scale to around BW = 7^3, or around
> 350x, and latency would reduce from 2.1 RTT's down to 0.2 RTTs avg
> per request.

I grabbed a copy of the Touch and Farber paper cited earlier in this
thread, which seemed to deal with  FTP. This described a pre-send selection
algorithm of sending everything in the currently selected directory. The
Boston University system used a simple 1-level probablistic model to pick
the best candidates for pre-send, and used fare less extra bandwidth,
though with a higher probablity of a cache-miss. There's lots of stuff to
tune with speculation.

Simon