Re: Evolutionary question

From: Daniel W. Connolly <connolly@beach.w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 14:01:46 -0500
To: James Whitescarver <jim@eies.njit.edu>
Cc: holtrf@destinyusa.com, www-talk@w3.org
In message <199511221858.NAA03073@eies.njit.edu>, James Whitescarver writes:
>>Really? That's interesting. I certainly think that HTTP or HTTP++
>>will be a major part, and it may become the future, but I'm not
>>convinced that it's the best or most desirable Future of The Web,
>
>The dream you discribe is what I'm calling HTTP++, where servers
>and clients are replaced by objects that receive messages and return results.
>HTTP may form the underlying transport, but certainly HTTP+CGI will be the
>stone age compared to the future WWW frameworks that will ultimately provide
>the total connectivity of all objects that the WWW philosophy embraces.

This has been one of the design issues from day one.
A couple of us did a short brain dump on the subject
recently:

	The Web as a Distributed Application Platform
	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/DesignIssues/DistObjApps.html

There will be much ado about this at WWW4. See:

	The Future of Object Technology in the WWW
	Submitted by Mark Madsen, Information Services
	Framework, APM Ltd

	http://www.ansa.co.uk/ANSA/ISF/www4panel.html

Dan