Re: CGI???

From: Daniel DuBois <ddubois@rafiki.spyglass.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:15:33 -0600
To: "Chris Adie" <C.J.Adie@ed.ac.uk>, Mike Meyer <mwm@contessa.phone.net>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
>Yes, there are certainly CGI implementations in use right now which don't use
>stdio streams - for example, CGI scripts using Visual Basic (which has no
>concept of stdin/stdout), or scripts implemented as DLLs.  DLLs don't use
>[...]
>Separate platform-specific specs should do that.  So, avoid
>implementation-specific terms like "environment variables", and call them
>(say) "CGI variables" instead.

I don't think the any CGI spec should be burdened with the complications of
WinCGI.  WinCGI is a being into it's own, and has in many cases, drastically
different behavior.  Let's keep this CGI spec useful, if we try to
generalize to the point you advocate, it will likely lose a great deal of
utility and precision.
-----
Dan DuBois, Software Animal             http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/
		I absolutely do not speak for Spyglass.