Re: CGI???

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:47:00 +0000 (GMT)
To: dmk@allegra.att.com (Dave Kristol)
Cc: mwm@contessa.phone.net, www-talk@w3.org

>   > > >8) You've made a quiet change to the behavior of parsed headers -
>   > > >requiring that the CGI headers appear before the HTTP headers. [...]

>   > There's a problem with this version. The server can't send any data
>   > until the Status: header has been seen. [...]

> I don't think this is important.  As a practical matter, CGI's don't
> send many headers [...]
>
> BTW, I think the term "CGI headers" is a bit odd, given that Location
> and Content-Type are both HTTP headers, as well.  Yeah, okay, you have
> to call them SOMETHING.  How about the more cumbersome "CGI-significant
> headers"?

I like the distinction in the CGI documents on hoohoo between HTTP
headers (which the CGI program generates and are sent via the server
directly to the client) and _server_directives_, which are interpreted
by the server and may or may not be sent untouched to the client.

I like to think of a mapping between server directives (from the CGI)
and HTTP headers (from the server); this mapping may be a unity
transform but need not be.

Keeping this distinction also allows a spec to say that CGI programs
should output server directives before HTTP headers.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |