Re: Content negotiation

From: Mob Psychologist <faithz@sco.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 11:38:32 -0800 (PST)
To: batie@aahz.jf.intel.com, mau@beatles.cselt.stet.it
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
	My personal idea is to modify slightly a server, so that the resource
	/foo/bar.html actually can correspond to either /foo/DE/bar.html or
	/foo/FR/bar.html ...
	I understand that URC (or URN?) should be the right approach, but this could
	be implemented in a hurry, provided that browsers optionally send the
	correct header.
	Any comments?
This is exactly how we have implemented multiple language support.
The Accept-Language sends the LANG environment variable of the user,
and the server uses a new configuration directive, LocalizedDocRoot, to
map the language to a different document root directory.  We actually
use a language subdirectory of the original document root, to keep all
the documents together.  We also have another configuration directive,
LanguageAlias, that aliases different ways of specifying locales.

Faith Zack
The Santa Cruz Operation
email: faithz@sco.com
phone: (408) 427-7611