Re: Content negotiation

From: segmentation fault <holtrf@raja.destinyusa.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:28:00 -0500 (EST)
To: hedlund@best.com (M. Hedlund)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
> Finally, if every browser sends a URL for some random server that describes
> its capabilities, there would need to be some central registration of
> "feature names."  Otherwise, everyone will just put "My browser does
> tables" on their reference page, and convey little information.

For browser features, perhaps what is needed is a highly succinct
feature specification string, similar to font specification in X
or even termcap. In fact, it's exactly like a termcap for W3 clients.
This has the advantage of being low overhead and easily
parsed, though not very flexible - and it requires general agreement and
standardization before it would be useful.

-Russell Holt
holtrf@destinyusa.com