Re: Content negotiation

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul@utopia.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 01:36:44 -0500
To: hedlund@best.com (M. Hedlund)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
At 5:24 PM 11/7/95, M. Hedlund wrote:
.. a very cogent message.

>1. "I want my pages to look as good as possible in every browser."  Okay,
>you can produce as many versions of an HTML page as you want, but support
>for that doesn't need to be in HTTP (beyond the user-agent header itself).
>To the extent that this is a protocol issue, it should be handled by STYLE
>SHEETS, not user-agent content-negotiation.  What can browser authors do to
>assist this process?  Implement level 1 style sheets.

While this would help, it's not clear it's sufficient given the drastic
differences sometimes necessary to get a reasonable display.  Beyond that
nit I think your suggestions are a definite move in the right direction.

Kee Hinckley      Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects    617.768.5500
nazgul@utopia.com                               http://www.utopia.com/

everyone else's.