low bandwidth and disconnected operation

From: John M. Troyer <troyer@cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 19:58:05 -0800 (PST)
To: www-talk@w3.org

Hi --

I've been recently thinking about solutions (using local caches) for
easier web access at the end of slow modems and for disconnected laptop
'portable webs'.

Aside from the standard proxy and cache information, I haven't found
much information out there.  I did just see on the W3C Activity Areas page
(http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Consortium/Prospectus/ActivityList.html)

"To be added: Special protocols for low bandwidth and disconnected operation"

I'd be interested in talking to anybody else thinking along these lines.
Anyone have any leads?

Thanks --

john
troyer@cgl.ucsf.edu
http://www.cmpharm.ucsf.edu/~troyer/
Safer Sex Page, Dining Out on the Web: 1995 GNN Best of the Net