Re: Kid Code

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995, Darren New wrote:

> > Aren't we
> > trying to make everyone pay a price here so that parents don't have to
> > supervise their children?
>
> No. If you actually read the KidCode proposal rather than just the
> messages flying around here, you'll see that it's first of all 100%
> voluntary, second of all does not require any changes to browsers for
> people who don't want help policing what their children see and third of
> all requires no changes to any server code.
>
> So... just no.

All the broken links don't count as a price?

Besides, if this is encouraged, how long do you think it'd really stay
voluntary, at least for US sites?  After all the US has mandatory record
labelling.  KidCode is a decidedly inferior way to rate content in a
global system, but US legislators don't think globally.  The world
outside the U.S. just isn't of concern to them in any real sense.  I'm
not sure the U.S. itself is, either, but that's a whole other issue.

--
James "WHAT wide web?" Deikun