Re: KidCode: Next steps

At 8:57 PM 95/06/19, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
>Exactly.  That's why KidCode has open-ended hooks for an arbitrary
>number of rating authorities.  It allows the development of
>Catholic-approved browsers, Baptist-approved browsers, etc., etc.....

The problems of filtering for children are no different from the problems
for filtering for any purpose.  Given the ability to allow multiple rating
authorities is the proposal sufficiently generalised?  For instance I might
want to filter material on cosmology only to admit material which contains
"good" physics.  Alternatively my filter might desirably be that of the
Flat Earth society.  In the same way I might want material on Central
Europe to be filtered via a Serbian, Croation or Bosnain view or a subset
of these.

Isn't KidCode just a re-creation of the Seals of Approval (SOAPs) that the
interpedia group proposed?  Aren't we just putting into the protocol what a
good web site already provides when it puts up a page of pointers to
material judged to be useful and of interest by the supportes of that page?

I'm not argusing agaist putting it into the protocal mind you.

Tony

Tony Barry                  URL:http://snazzy.anu.edu.au/People/TonyB.html
Centre for Networked Information and Publishing & also
Centre for Networked Access to Scholarly Information  fone  +61 6 249 4632
Australian National University Library                phax  +61 6 279 8120
Canberra  A.C.T. 0200, AUSTRALIA                      tony@info.anu.edu.au