RE: Rating Systems

From: Darren New <dnew@sgf.fv.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 16:30:11 +0100
To: "Christopher B. Rechtsteiner" <chris@cgs-ltd.com>
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org
> As a new follower to this thread, might I throw out that we, perish this
> thought, use our own judgement on what pages are acceptable?  The ratings of
> pages (for adult content, etc.) is basically a safety catch for everyone who
> is too irresponsible to determine what is appropriate material.

Well, unfortunately (in the US), children are deemed to be just that
irresponsible. Not that I agree, and not that there isn't a ton of
distasteful stuff I wouldn't want my children seeing but nobody every
thinks of censoring, but that's the realities of live in the USA.

> Heaven forbit we should all need someone to watch out for us.

Isn't that why we *hire* politicians?  :-/

This is drifing off-topic, so followups via private email, eh?  --Darren