Re: What's next after the common log format?

From: Ari Luotonen <luotonen@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 17:52:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: payne@openmarket.com (Andrew Payne)
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org

> The current format is positional, so there's no clean way to add new items
> to the format without breaking existing tools.

Many, if not most, of the current analyzers quietly ignore extra
entries after the last field in the Common Log Format, so it's
possible to add new fields there.

> Are there any other formats in use?

Extended Log Format used by the Netscape Proxy Server adds the
following fields to the end of Common Log Fmt:

	- remote status
	- remote response body length
	- client request header length
	- client request body length
	- remote request header length
	- remote request body length
	- transfer time in seconds

This, of course, is very proxy specific, but I thought I might as well
bring it up.  For servers the transfer time, for example, would be
better expressed in milliseconds, and all the "remote" fields don't
make any sense.

Cheers,
--
Ari Luotonen				ari@netscape.com