Re: Criticism of Kidcode (was Re: KidCode: Next steps )

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 19:13:56 +0100 (BST)
To: nazgul@utopia.com (Kee Hinckley)
Cc: sdw@lig.net, lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk, m.koster@nexor.co.uk, nsb@nsb.fv.com, rating@junction.net, www-talk@www10.w3.org, uri@bunyip.com
Kee Hinkley wrote:

> >> A proxy based system really doesn't scale, money or no-money.

I would like to see some backup for this rather bold assertion.

> >I think you're wrong: All ISP's, companies, and Internet sites with more
> >than a few users should have proxies for http, ftp, nntp (Newsservers
> >are the most common proxy of course).  Of course single global proxies
> >don't work, but neither would a small set of central news servers.

> Single global proxies are what was mentioned as an alternative.

If you were referring to my original post, then no I was _not_ talking
about a single global proxy to solve this! I was talking about local proxies
used to filter requests (and act as a local cache, of course) by talking
to a URC server. I do not see how that would not scale. The URC servers would
of course be replicated, and communicate SAPs using peer networking - rather
like the Harvest system.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |